Sunday, June 7, 2009

You Too...

There's a very nice, very old man that comes into my Starbucks every morning around 9am with his newspaper in hand and orders a grande coffee with either a slice of lemon loaf or a butter croissant. His name is Mr. Simpson. A few months back, through the course of conversation, I learned that he grew up in the same area of Oregon that I did. His sister lives in the same town where my Nana lives. So we both have alot in common; and I enjoy talking with him. There's one problem though - he's really hard of hearing. REALLY hard of hearing. So, I have make sure to talk loudly to him. Well, yesterday at work (on Saturday's he comes in the afternoon) he came by. When he was finished with his food, he gave me his plate, and here's how the conversation went:

Me: "SO DID YOU HAVE A BUSY DAY TODAY??"

Mr. Simpson: "You too!"

And he walked past me, out the door.

You talk about being thrown for a loop. I just stood there for a second, dumbfounded, not knowing what just happened. That's when I realized just how shot Mr. Simpson's hearing is. When he left, I told my co-workers and we all laughed about it. We all at Starbucks 210/Riverside love Mr. Simpson. He's one of my favorites!

2 comments:

Sarrah D. said...

where's raul in the ice cream eating contest? I want an instant repaly!

Jarron said...

that was nasty. I was recording Ray when Raul let go, so we can't see that. I think that's a good thing too, I don't want people getting sick when they look at my blog.lol