Sunday, June 14, 2009

Weekend in Napa (and lots more that I didn't plan on writing about)

This past weekend my cousin Nathaniel, who lives up in Napa, graduated from high-school. My family had plans to go up there for it since a while back, but I did not think I would go - for work reasons. However, a day before my family was scheduled to leave, I decided to try to get some people to cover my shifts for Friday and Saturday. After two hours of tedious effort, and contacting every Starbucks location in Rialto and one in University, I finally found two gracious baristas that would cover for me. I then let Nathaniel know that I would indeed be coming. He was glad.

When we got there Friday afternoon we all met each other, as always, with hugs and kisses and hugs and kisses and more hugs and more kisses, etc. If you didn't know, we Browns are a very huggy and kissy family. (If you don't like it, turn away. (as they say)) In fact, we did that an awful lot this weekend. (we don't get to see each other very often any more)

This weekend was a very memorable one and precious not only to me personally but I believe it was special to each one of us, seeing we grandkids are all getting older and will be going our separate ways as life would direct. This past weekend was the first time that the entire Brown family had gotten together in a very long time (I don't remember when the last time was, as a matter of fact). And I know Grandma loved getting to be with all her kids and grandkids (especially me) one more time. I don't know how many more times we'll be able to get together like that again, so I cherish the times that I have now. When I was young I didn't really appreciate my family like I do now that I'm older. This whole weekend I had sort of a sentimental feeling down deep in my heart. I don't want to ever lose the times that I get to spend with my grandma and uncles and aunts and cousins, but I know that time has a dirty way of stealing them from all of us.

So, lately I've been really thinking about how good of a family God has given to me. My dad turned 51 last week; so at the table today after this morning's church service, Uncle Clayton had everyone take a turn to say something special about my dad. Without going into great detail, suffice it to say, it got pretty emotional pretty quick. People were crying in no time. The occasion opened, even further, my understanding of how much my family loves my dad. God has indeed blessed me with a wonderful father. It almost sounded like a funeral - all the sniffling and wonderful words. :-)

The occasion also reminded me of how much we all love and deeply care for each other. I remember when us grandkids were younger, even though we had a lot of fun playing together, we also had several times of great disagreement (which is natural in children). But now that we're older, it seems like it's easier to look past the differences and relish the friendships created by the family bond that has been built over the years by the generation before. I love all my cousins very much. But I especially love my Grandma who (along with Grandpa Brown) created the family that I am proud to be a part of today.

When I began writing this, I didn't think I'd end up writing an epistle. If you read this entire post without either going cross-eyed, falling asleep, or some other way losing consciousness midway, I commend you sincerely from the bottom of my heart for your attentiveness.

No comments: