Thursday, June 4, 2009

When the Fire Fell 2 Hours before Church, Adam Put it Out

Yesterday afternoon as I was sitting outside of our home relaxing and watching an intense lightning storm, which I have always enjoyed doing, while also listening to the sirens of fire trucks as they sped to and fro throughout the city, as I was enjoying the phenomenon, I suddenly was jolted out of my chair by the deafening crackle of lightning not 100 feet away along with the simultaneous boom of thunder.

I thought the lightning hit the street that our church sits next to. So as I was running around the church to the perceived bomb site, I noticed plumes of smoke and flames of fire pouring out of the top of one of our cyprus trees that are right next to our Church buses by the conference room. I then perceived that the lightning had not stricken the street. Immediately I called 911, then got Adam Pierce who was in the conference room.

He had me move his truck, and in 2.85 seconds (I think) he was on top of the bus. (In his suit. Remember, it was two hours before service, and he was there early preparing for a meeting.) He proceeded to spray the tree with a garden hose for about 20 minutes until the fire was out. Then a police officer pulled up to see if everything was okay (apparently the fire dept was backed up with several other fires.) So Bro. Adam ended up a hero in a drenched suit and tie.

Today, reminiscing about it got me to thinking,  Azusa and Topeka aren't the only places where the fire fell. When it fell at Inland Lighthouse Church in Rialto 2 hours before church, Adam put it out.

Here are some pics I took with my phone during the incident. The last one I took today.


.     .     .



.     .     .


Unfortunately there was a fatality that we were unaware of until today's inspection of the scene.


This poor possum got barbecued.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That poor little thing! How sad!

Anonymous said...

What a hero!!

Anonymous said...

Stupid little rodent!!! Glad to see that "poor little thing" DEAD! lol Thats Crazy about the lightning striking the tree...