Thursday, May 5, 2011

My First Encounter with a Giant Man-eating Pea-pod

J/k. Actually it's called Pacay. It's a fruit grown here in South America. This is apparently what it looks like while it's still on the tree (I don't know, I didn't take the picture). It's a weird looking fruit but the taste is divine. I like to think of it as nature's own cotton candy.

As we were grocery shopping last week we came across one. I guess they're starting to come into season. Before I came to Peru my dad told me I should try it out. I'm glad I did, as it has now replaced whatever my previous favorite fruit was as my current favorite fruit. Below are some pictures of this recent life-changing experience. Sorry to disappoint all you pea-pod lovers.

My pacay in its original condition

After Teo showed me how to open it... revealing the precious jewels inside

The (what I call) "cotton part" covers the great big ugly seeds.

Me holding the pacay in my left hand and the "cotton part" (refer to previous picture for meaning) in my right hand. It was soon after devoured.

No comments: