Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Jungle - Iquitos' Regional Convention with Pastor Victor Gonzales (Boyle Heights, CA)

Yesterday, we returned home from 5 days in the jungle city of Iquitos, where we held our regional convention. Bro. Victor Gonzales from Boyle Heights, CA came, as well as Bro. Andres Panduro from his church. Bro. Gonzales preached each night. God was very good and several received the Holy Ghost.

My father, who lived there as a missionary's kid back in the early 70s, had told me several stories about the jungle, but up till now, stories were all I knew. Now I've experienced it, and have fallen in love with it. I hated to leave. One day I want to return.

While there we made a lot of neat memories - from guarding our wallets and hiding our cameras in the city markets to riding the mighty Amazon river to having service with no electricity 30 minutes down the Amazon to preaching the gospel to a hungry trinitarian congregation and watching them receive the Holy Ghost to having revival at the home church, ICAP, in Punchana, Iquitos. It was definitely an unforgettable experience that I want to relive.

Wednesday, the day after Bros. Gonzales & Panduro arrived from the states, was spent in Lima (as our flight to Iquitos was scheduled for Thursday morning). That day, Bro. Jaime and I took them sightseeing around town and we had a special service back home in San Felipe that night. Thursday morning through to the following Monday morning was spent in the middle of the Amazon jungle.

I posted just a few photos of our week. Please enjoy.

1 comment:

Kathy McElhaney said...

Loved both these reports. Made me so proud of our branch pastors! They are great men of God and I'm glad they were a blessing to Peru. So exciting about the Trinitarian pastor ~ a whole congregation just waiting to receive the truth!