Saturday, February 26, 2011

My Life in Peru Pt 2

Greetings friends and other people!
Things are still going wonderful down here in Peru... except for the weather. :) It's been very hot and very humid. However, yesterday it sprinkled a tad bit which was neat. There was even a rainbow clear across the sky for a couple minutes. Of course, here it rains (if you can call it that) out of a blue sky. Very weird I know, but Sis. Nix told me that the clouds are just so thin you can't see them. Of course it only sprinkled for a couple minutes also. Then it became more humid than ever. :) This excitement helped pass the time while the electricity was cut off for a couple hours. Naturally the house turned into a sauna. Once the electricity turned back on, the water was turned off. I think their "supposedly" working with some new homes yonder from us. The water is still off. I sure hope I can shower before church tomorrow.
In other news, last Sunday's church services were superb. In the afternoon we have youth service. A young man, who is shown next to me in a photo below, named Heliot, preached a message called "Hasta Muerte (Until Death)." He drew from the story of Naboth in the Old Testament. It was a very moving and stirring message. I actually understood quite a bit of it.LOL
I'm currently reading a book I found in Bro. Nix's vast library entitled "Daniel" by Arno C. Gaebelein. Obviously it's about the OT book of Daniel. Very interesting. However, at one point I did get a kick when the author tried to explain the trinity by saying that when Daniel interpreted King Nebuchadnezzar's dream, the king said that surely Daniel's God is a #1 God of gods (aka father), #2 Lord of kings (aka son), and #3 revealer of secrets (aka holy spirit). 1, 2, 3 descriptions must surely mean that God is in three persons! HAHA That's definitely the farthest stretch I've heard of from someone trying to explain that false doctrine. Other than that huge gaff, the material about prophesy is quite interesting. :) I guess he did provide some humor for the reader to enjoy, which is thoughtful.
Bro. Nix, as I have already stated, fits in real well with the drivers down here in Lima. One particular instance occurred the other day. We were in our lane, road jammed with automobiles, when a bus decided to change to our lane, not bothering to let us get out of the way. Worst of all, Bro. Nix didn't even turn or slow down until the very last split second. It scared me half to death and because I was in the front passenger side, I would've been the one crushed. My natural reaction, as is (should be) the case with all Apostolics, was to start praying. While laughing Sis. Nix shouted "Vicki Lives!" Then we all laughed. Today we had a similar experience, only I wasn't scared this time.
Today we went to the beach. Unfortunately I forgot my camera today. It's a nice beach, the sand is much darker than California beaches and the waves are much higher. Lots of surfers too. We also have hammer head sharks, I can't remember if we have those back home. The scenery is beautiful when looking down the coastline toward Lima. The huge cliff that separates the city from the Pacific is quite a sight. Overall it's a cool beach, only one problem, you have to watch out for bares.
I've been eating like a Pefkakian refugee since I got here. Today we went to that super friendly restaurant again. We also went grocery shopping today. That was fun.
Below are some pictures I took this past week. Enjoy!


Pastor Tomas from Ayacucho preached last Sunday night.

A sort of smeared shot of Heliot testifying, just to give an idea.

Hno. Jerson is an awesome keyboardist!

A view of the platform during service

Alter service Sunday night
L - R Bro. Jose Quiñones, the local youth leader and Bro. Edwar(no 'd'), the piano player for youth service.
Last Sunday, Bro. Nix and I went to lunch to a Chinese restaurant. We found this on the menu, and had a good laugh. I think they meant to say "grilled dishes."

Us at the same restaurant.

Sunday morning, first session, minister's class. There were around 30 ministers there.

Hno. Heliot preaching youth service, "Hasta Muerte."

Heliot and myself. He's originally from the jungle. He's been preaching since he was 13.
Myself and Sebastián. He and Heliót are some of the neatest guys. They speak slowly and help teach me new Words and phrases. :)

A shot of a man praying in the altar.

Sebastián during youth service.

He was the Emcee.


Well, I better go. In 10 minutes we have to go outside for an earthquake drill, during which, all electricity will go out for 15 minutes. We had a grade 5 earthquake here today, but neither myself nor the Nixes felt it. I think we were driving at the time. Oh well, maybe I'll feel the next one. More to come next week... Hopefully! Keep praying, especially for safety from unsafe food and water. I really appreciate it.
God bless,
Jarron

2 comments:

Sarboo said...

Its great to hear your adventures! Keep up the blogging. Larry and Sarah

Anonymous said...

Pefkakian refugee? You haven't been reading Twinkie Squad, have you? Any 3-headed monkeys in Peru? :-) I enjoy reading about your adventures.

~Crystal