Monday, February 28, 2011

More Pictures of Last Week


Well, here's part two, I guess one could say, of Saturday's post covering the events which occurred this past weekend. The dashing young man to the left of this writing is myself, Jarron D Brown. I took this picture on Sunday morning in Bro. Nix's office before church. We arrive at the church around 9:30 I would guess, (haven't really noticed the time when we arrive yet.) and the first session doesn't start until 10 I believe. That way I have some time to check emails, listen to the previous week's DISCIPLE lesson, which by the way is what I did yesterday morning, as you can see by the picture below.

Preston (my brother) is a tremendous Bible teacher. As you can see by the pdf, displayed in the foreground, which he so graciously uploads on-line each week for students who are in foreign lands (like myself... actually I'm the only one.ha ) and who are/is/am not able to attend in person. In the background you will notice the media player. This enables me to listen to each of the preceding weeks' lessons, somewhat decent quality, if he'd learn to stop pounding the lectern during important points... jk
As I was saying before the train derailed, and that right early, Preston is a very good teacher and I'm SO thankful that he made this class possible. What we learn in DISCIPLE is what other kids pay big bucks for at national Bible colleges. Well, actually I think most of them are paying for the vacation from their parents, but I digress yet again. :)

Here is, yet again, another snapshot of our not to peaceful traffic. Notice the direction of traffic. Notice also the taxi bus cutting across our pathway. No one was hurt. They seem to have learned to do rather well under completely unsafe driving conditions with no rules or modes of operation.






Directly to your left you will find, if you look closely enough, (you may have to open in another page to view closer) a few water droplets on the ground. This was taken (by mine own hand) during a few minute long not-so intense rainstorm. Hey, this was big news for Lima, seeing as it gets a good rain once every, oh I don't know, 20 years? It's worse than anything I've every heard of in the states. It's drier here than something totally unmoist! What's better is there was a huge rainbow in the sky that showed up in the newspaper the following day.
It kinda flabbergasted me seeing as there was not a cloud in the sky... no really. Continue reading for further evidence...






And here is a picture of the empty sky as it rained/sprinkled/barely dribbled. Well, Sis. Nix said there were clouds, but they're just so thin you can't see them. I guess it happens every once in a blue moon. But apparently the rainbow doesn't normally come with it.

Please feel free to enjoy the next few pictures (no pressure) of the past week's happenings.

Hno. Jose leading prayer service on Tuesday night.

Another Hno. Jose leading worship on Sunday.

This is a view of the church from the street. It was an old cinema they converted into an Apostolic church. This is where the blind man received his sight a couple months ago. That's our car parked out front.

Guess who the usher is. A minister always stands next to the usher during offering time and shakes hands with everyone as they pass by. In the background, you'll notice the ministers standing on the first step. During offering (while music is played) is when they pray for the sick. There's a group of ministers on each side of the pulpit.

Praying for the sick. Our Bro. Jose is in the foreground; Bro. Arnulfo in the background. He was a minister back when my grandpa was here in Peru. He went and preached in the most dangerous of places where no-one else would dare to go because of the terrorists. One of the greatest heroes, I've ever known of. He'd fit perfectly into Hebrews 11.

One of the piano players... also very good.

Altar service. I posted this picture because I was going to tell you these guys' names, but I forgot and am not with the Nixes at this moment. When I find out, if I remember, I will endeavor to share them with you. They are great men.

Baptism during song service just out of the side door of the sanctuary.

Sunday afternoon we ate at Pardo's (great chicken place). These are all delivery motor-bikes lined up out front of the restaurant. Everybody delivers here in Lima, even McDonald's and KFC!
Sunday was an odd day, in that, the weather was completely different than the days preceding it as well as the days, so far, following. It's been really hot and humid lately - all last week and today, except for Sunday, yesterday, which was cool, a little breezy, no humidity, and foggy. It was absolutely beautiful. This picture was taken to try to show the weather. View the building in the center of the picture, notice the top is in the fog. This picture was meant to portray the fog, not the drugstore whose name I have forgotten.


Bro. Nix in his office Sunday afternoon.
As we pulled up to the church, we noticed that our new restroom had been successfully installed! Thank you to all our faithful supporting churches in the states for making this happen! You are all truly a blessing.

On a slightly more serious note, last night's service was one of the most powerful and refreshing services I had been in in a long time. Before the preaching, Bro. Nix asked a group to sing a couple songs. Very worshipful and God really moved. It was one of those times where you just stand there and cry and cry and cry. Afterward Bro. Nix turned it over to Bro. Jerson (one of the piano players) who was to preach. When he got to the pulpit he had us all begin to pray and it didn't end till about two hours later. Needless to say, he didn't preach. It turned into an awesome altar service.

Bro. Jaime praying with someone (backslidden preacher I think).
Pastor Tomas praying with one of the young men.

During altar service, Pastor Nix had the ministers come up and pray for the sick.
Fuzzy pic of Bro. Jerson (who would've preached) praying. Bro. Edwar in the background playing the keyboard.

An itty bitty brother in his itty bitty car with his great big itty bitty family... I wouldn't have guessed it possible to fit 12 people into a tiko!

Another family in a slightly larger car. Only there were 14 or 15 in here.

Below is a no so good recording of one of the songs Hno. Tomas and another minister sang in Quechua on Sunday night at the beginning of service. I love that music!

I hope you all enjoyed this, and have a good night.
Until next time, God bless!
Jarron

P.S. Feel free to comment. :) To do so, just click on the little number on the top right corner of each post. Then type away. :)
Adios!

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

Aww Jarron... its so neat to see all the pictures and read about how things are going. I can totally hear your voice as I read each post lol... you have a way with words. Thanks for the updates. God bless you!!!
Jen P

preston said...

Jarron,

You are too kind. Thanks for pointing out my bad habit, I'll do my best to refrain from blowing your eardrums out by pounding on the podium. I didn't realize I did that, but don't guarantee 100% compliance.

Thanks for keeping us all updated. It's so neat that you include so many pics. Any of the school yet?

Love you lots and proud of you!!!
p.s. and fyi... I'm going to lobby for your recent holiness article to be included in the Together magazine or something! Top-knotch quality, buddy.

Love,
Preston, Claudia, & the little brownie

Jana McVay said...

Jarron,
I, too, could hear you narrating this post as I read it! LOL Love reading about what God is doing in Peru and how you are doing as well. The pictures make me feel, sort of, like I am there partaking of the humidity with you all, feeling the presence of God as the congregation prays, but mostly, it is just neat to see what you are seeing! :-)

Glad you saved the letters from the dino!!

Blessings and prayers for rain,
Jana M

Robin said...

Hi Jarron: We so enjoy reading your blog and looking at the pictures. Keep up the good work! We love you and are so proud of you!
Uncle Randy, Aunt Rob and Anna

P.S. Even Leon is in impressed

Carl Brown said...

This is truly my beloved son in whom I am well pleased!! :-) Love you, Jarron - I'm so thankful you're able to be in Peru at this time to be a blessing -- on so many fronts. Bro. Mikhael Berrier preached an incredible message tonight on Ephraim turning back in the day of battle. Conversely, I believe you've moved directly into the battle - keep it up - you're a blessing. Keep your armor on and the sword in your hand! Love you so much and am so proud of you (in a godly sort of way, of course...)
Papa

Carl Brown said...

Jarron, I'm so thankful for your blog and skype! It helps cheer the lonely heart. Praying for you every day - God make you a blessing there. Your Grandpa Brown would be so proud! :-)
Love, Mama

PS Only 294 days before you come home! :-)

Jarron said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog and for your kind comments! It is nice to know that people are interested. Keep those cards and letters coming!
Love you all!
God bless,
Jarron

Clayton Brown said...

You have a very proud uncle and aunt here in Napa as well, Jarron. You've taken a great step of faith and God always rewards that in so many ways!

Love,
Uncle Clayton and Aunt Judy